the rhythm
from the ceiling
draws our smiles
after all, our
newly neighbored neighbors
are just
newly wed
but when it
doesn’t stop
nor slow
nor slacken
nor cease
for
thirty
minutes
we look at each other
my wife and I
at first amazed
then awed
for them
then respectful
for him
then
eventually
as those tens
of minutes
pass
fearful
for her
when it stops
after half
an hour
we still stare
at each other
my wife and I
eyes and mouth
wide
and unbelieving
the running shower
upstairs
confirming
our unbelief
so we take them cookies
of course
later that week
and ask how
they’re settling in
fine, oh, fine
they say
perhaps too kindly
unaccustomed
as they are
to married people talk
funny
I think
they don’t look
Olympian
maybe mildly athletic
but not what I
expected
then she
the other wife
says
oh so sincerely
I hope our
treadmill
doesn’t make
much racket
treadmill?
says she
that is
my wife
with the slightest
crease in her brow
oh yes
I jog
she
the other wife
says
twice a week
for thirty minutes
we laugh
of course
my wife and I
and they join in
uncomprehending
and a little confused
for these our
newly neighbored neighbors
are just
newly wed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard when I read this, it disturbed all of my roommates. This was hilarious, and so well written. As I read, my eyebrows got higher and higher, and I was thinking, there's no way this is happening. And when I got to the punchline (as it were) I burst out laughing and though, Sure that's what it was. Well done, this has made my night.
Oh, Ethan. What a different sort of poem than would have been written in your BYU housing complex, oh, several years ago...
Brilliant.
sally
Can I just say that I loved this? Okay, thanks. I loved this.
That was so great!!! At first i couldn't believe what i was reading...but then in the end, it all came together! Great writing!!!
Post a Comment