Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Authenticity is the great trial of agency or free will. To reject mere existence and to embrace authentic existence is the test. To merely follow the crowd and to merely reject the crowd are both the same activity. Conversely, authentically following the crowd is the same as authentically rejecting the crowd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I concur!
So, what's authentically troubling you?
I don't think I would have heard that from Ethan Sproat in 1995. I'm glad you're not a teenager anymore...because that would just be gross.
But I also agree. It shouldn't matter what you're deciding and how many other people do or do not follow your same path. What matters is the personal, conscious decision to take certain steps. Shopping at Hot Topic because you want to be part of the outcast crowd is no different than shopping at the Gap because you want to be part of the popular crowd. I just shop at Mervyn's, so I can be part of the normal crowd...
Hmm... it's been just 2 days shy of a year since Sproateus last graced us with any musings...
Sproat-ee-us! Sproat-ee-us!
(meant to be raucous, post-inducing shouting)
:)
Post a Comment